Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"Please Take My Seat... " Or Not

One of the bonuses of being so obviously pregnant is that you get doors opened for you, elevators held for you, and a seat on a crowded bus or train... most of the time.

Yesterday was the first time no one offered to give me their seat on the bus for the 5-minute ride to the train station, and I have to admit that I was a bit miffed. I am clearly obviously pregnant, and while I didn't actually need a seat for the short jaunt ('cause if I did, I would have point-blank asked someone for theirs - I wouldn't be shy about it) it was still a little upsetting that no one at least offered (and there were clearly plenty of able-bodied people sitting right next to where I was standing).

And it bothered me not so much because I would have gladly taken a seat (my balance is not so good on these stop-and-go bus rides), but because I wonder how often this happens to people who truly need one. There are several seats right near the front of the bus marked with handicap symbols and an announcement that plays periodically asking people to reserve those seats for people with disabilities and expectant mothers.

So what about those people who are not like me and are too shy to ask another for a seat, even though they have maybe a hidden handicap like a prosthetic limb or are short of breath?

I take comfort, however, in the fact that it seemed like an isolated incident. Today, I had not one, not two, but three women offer me their seats.

"Sit here," said one, gathering up her purse and bags and starting to get up.

"No, she can have mine," said a second, as she jumped up and ushered me toward her seat.

"Oh, I was just about to offer," said a third. "I know it's hard to balance with all that extra weight."

Women just understand each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment