Friday, April 13, 2012

Incredible

I have seen some amazing, hardly believable things in my life - especially during my years as a newspaper reporter.

But everything I saw during my time in that job was from an observation point. I may have been professionally involved, but was never completely invested.

Today was different. Today I was directly involved in the most incredible thing I have ever seen, which was blurred slightly toward the end as the tears took over.

I saw my baby's heartbeat today. I literally saw all four chambers of my 8-week-old baby's heart beating inside me.

I could only rip my eyes off the screen for a second to look at Brent, who didn't return my glance, as he too was transfixed by that tiny body that only slightly resembled a human, but whose heartbeat was unmistakable.

Up until we arrived at my first OB-GYN appointment, I still had doubts. What if the pregnancy test gave me a false positive? What if these feelings of nausea are just regular pangs of illness? What if I had all my hopes up for nothing?

I didn't.


Meet baby Mel. I knew in my heart you were there all along, baby, and your dad and I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment